Meet Our Staff
Sally Belles, RD
Registered dietitian who earned her Bachelor of Science degree in Food Science and Human Nutrition from the University of Hawai‘i at Manoa. She completed her dietetic internship at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, Tennessee. Sally has worked as a clinical dietitian for over 15 years. Her experience includes individualized medical nutrition therapy counseling to help patients better manage their chronic disease, aerobic exercise and strength training instruction, as well as weight loss/management. She is certified by the Commission on Dietetic Registration in “Adult Weight Management”. Currently, Sally serves on the Board of Directors of the Hawai‘i Dietetic Association. Special interests include wellness, prevention, and fitness. Sally was born and raised on the island of Oahu.
Zale Hisashima, RD
Registered dietitian who received her Bachelor of Science in Food Science and Human Nutrition from the University of Hawai‘i. She worked at various hospitals on Oahu where she completed the Sodexho Distance Education Internship Program. Zale works with patients to develop dietary and lifestyle changes to enhance their health and improve disease management. She is currently serving on the Hawai‘i Dietetic Association’s Board of Directors. Special interests include wellness/preventive care, diabetes management and weight loss/management. Zale was born and raised on the island of Hawai‘i.
Char Pidot-Buchner, RN, CDE
Registered nurse and certified diabetes educator, has been involved in diabetes education and care at Straub since 1991 in both the outpatient and inpatient settings. Prior to joining Straub’s Health Education Center, she served as the Diabetes Education Program Chairperson for Joslin Center for Diabetes at Straub. Char is a member of the American Diabetes Association, the American Association of Diabetes Educators, and the Hawai‘i Association of Diabetes Educators, served as a Board Member At Large and as the Membership Committee chairperson. She is a graduate of the Kamehameha Schools and the former Queen’s Hospital School of Nursing. Char was born and raised on the island of Molokai.
Our personal nutrition counseling philosophy is based on clinical nutrition, exercise, and individual well being. Helping you make changes today towards a healthier tomorrow!
At Straub we know that sound nutrition is a key component to your health. A Registered Dietitian can help you decrease your risk of disease, manage your weight, increase your energy level and achieve optimal performance in all you do. A Registered Dietitian is uniquely qualified to provide medical nutrition therapy and to promote optimal nutrition and wellness. Individual consultations with a Registered Dietitians are available at our Straub King Street location during certain days of the week.
- Assessment of current dietary habits & health status
- Body fat testing & anthropometrical measurements
- Individualized nutrition plan and lifestyle coaching
- Management of medical conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol
- Label reading and healthy shopping habits
- Recipe alteration and healthy cooking guidelines
- Exercise consultation
- Disease prevention
- Goal setting and action plans
For one on one consultations please call 522-4325 for an appointment or see your physician for a referral to a Registered Dietitian.
Specific recommendations are based on medical conditions, lab work, and patients needs.
Diabetes Self Management Education
A Certified Diabetes Educator and Registered Dietitians provide education on the fundamentals of diabetes and the skills necessary for the daily self management of diabetes. Our program is recognized by the American Diabetes Association
- Diabetes Overview & Goal Setting
- What is Diabetes, Risk Factors, Signs and Symptoms, Types of Diabetes, Goal Setting for Success.
- Nutrition & Exercise
- Meal Planning Options, How Food Affects Your Blood Glucose, Benefits of Exercise, Getting Started on an Exercise Program
- Medications & Monitoring
- Learn to Use Glucose Meters, How Your Medication Works, and more.
- Complications of Diabetes & Understanding the Emotional Aspects of Diabetes
- Understanding the Complications, Treating Low Blood Glucose, Treating High Blood Glucose, Proper Foot Care, Discussing Emotions Related to Having Diabetes.
- Fiber and Label Reading
- Read the Nutrition Facts Label, Benefits and Sources of Fiber.
Other Services Offered:
- Initial Assessment
- Medical Nutrition Therapy
- Pregnancy and Preconception care
See your physician for a referral or call 522-4325 for more information.